Salve! Today’s writing brought to you by the Imperial Nova Terra Trading Company. When you want new goods, look no further than Nova Terra!
Here’s Thursday’s tasteful tidbit of my most recent writing from the Last Gladiator. I’ve got almost 7,000 words, and now you get to enjoy some of them, courtesy of my newest main character – Lucia.
Anyone interested in being a beta reader – better let me know asap as I’m looking for feedback on this novella by Labor Day!
Today I’m going to talk about diversity in steampunk and alternate history novels – specifically what I’m planning to do to build some more realism and diversity into my own world. Read on to find out more.
I wanted to share the first page excerpt from my latest novella, the Last Gladiator. Focusing on a much smaller part of the world, it details the story of Master Ilyensio Horatio, master of the Ludus Magnus, one of the last training compounds for human gladiators in an era when the mechagladiators are about to dominate the colliseum. C&C always appreciated, let me know what you think! The goal for this is roughly 10-12,000 words, as I’d love to start getting some more novellas out this year and next with the eventual goal of creating that print anthology to accompany the Steam Empire Chronicle series.
About two years (three years!?) ago I started typing up a short story called “the Border.” With the completion of Laurel Emperor, I figured it was a good time to finish up the short story so that I could include it in a future anthology of Romanpunk and Alternate History tales. As I’m working on expanding it now, I figured it would be best to go back and do some brief improvements, before resubmitting it for your enjoyment. So here’s the series so far – Parts 1-7. Be on the look outs for parts 8 – 10 in the next few weeks.
So I’ve been thinking about what is next for the Steam Empire Chronicles. Obviously, I still have to finish Laurel Emperor! But what then?
Here are a few long term goals. So far I’ve got the following ideas…
- A novella about the Battle of the Teutonberg forest (victory for the Romans, of course!)
- A novella about the arrival of Romans in the New World.
- A novella about the last real gladiator of Rome
- Compose all the novellas into an Anthology with a bonus novella inside – definitely would consider adding illustrations to this novella collection.
- Make a giant omnibus of all the Steam Empire Chronicle Novels into one large print book (Not digital) – definitely add some more illustrations to Steel Praetorian in this, and then adding them to the current ebook as well.
- I’d love to get some audiobooks done, but only if there’s significant interest. I’m thinking a kickstarter for this would be worth it.
- Without revealing any spoilers, if people seemed interested, I’d start working on some spin-offs focusing on characters, especially in the new world or in more ‘historical’ situations in the novels.
Thoughts? What would you guys like to see?
I’ve updated the information on Brass Legionnaire’s book page above. I’m planning on having a friend do some general clean up work on the book, which will be significantly revised in the next month. Backers of the kickstarter who pledge $25 or more or add some money for additional print copies of Brass Legionnaire will get the updated version. Already have a copy? No worries! I’m looking at cleaning up various problems and smoothing the story out, so your old version will not be ‘obsolete!’ and if I choose to add an additional chapter, I’ll make it available for free here on the website, as that’s fair for everyone. (Although I want you to buy my books, I don’t want you to buy a new copy of Brass Legionnaire just for another chapter, that’s silly!)
In essence, I’ve added character plots for Julius, Constantine and Corbus. See the overall design of their story plots in BL, and learn a bit more about the characters!
Also, there’s only EIGHT DAYS LEFT IN THE KICKSTARTER! Help us reach $1250 and everyone will get BOTH of my novellas for free! Woo! We’re only about $230 away, so every dollar helps!
So while I wait for the kickstarter, cover art, editing, and everything else to fall into place, I found myself inspired by some miniatures that I’ve been working on. This story doesn’t fall into the world of the Steam Empire Chronicles, but maybe I can blend it in later (depending on the response).
Let me know what you think below! All commentary is welcome. Continue reading